As the season is changing we are blessed here in Colorado with long days and warm nights and a number of outdoor activities that allow for creative and fun activities to enrich your relationships, provide more quality time with your family and connect with your community.
Here are just a few:
1) Invite your partner to go on a walk 3-4 times per week. This will not only allow you to enjoy the weather and each other but will also get your muscles moving and provide a daily dose of vitamin D. Take advantage of the beautiful sunshine!
2) Plan a picnic or outdoor BBQ. This is a great way to break out of your evening routine and include the whole family in preparing a fun and healthy meal. Bring along a few games, a deck of cards, or art supplies to continue building relationships and create lasting memories.
3) Plant an outdoor or indoor herb/vegetable garden. Creating a small herb garden or a planter for fresh vegetables is much easier than one may think. A few fresh organic herb sprouts can be as little as $5.00 at your local natural foods market or hardware store and a packet of seeds for planting range from $0.40- $2.00. This is a hands-on way to educate your children on sustainable living and impart taking responsibility and caring for the environment.
For the singles!
1) Designate a few evenings a week to visit your local dog park or the park closest to your community. This is a great way to meet new people and enjoy some time outdoors.
2) Take up a new sport or hobby. Sign up to walk or jog in a local 5k, challenge a friend to a tennis game or join your nearest Rec Center. There is a great sense of accomplishment when you set goals or learn something new.
3) Throw a summer themed dinner party! There are a number of fresh and easy summer recipes to be found online that take no time at all. Turn it into a pot luck or have everyone join you in the kitchen to prepare the meal! This will not only enrich your current friendships but may even spark some new ones!
Enriching your relationships and your life is up to you! There are a number of fun and easy ways to move forward and there is no better time than right now!
Cydney Morgan, Counselor and Wellness Practitioner